Wednesday, March 28, 2012

There Was Pink on the Roof

It was dusky and I could see pink on the neighbor’s rooftop
out the living room window from where I sat at the dinner table.

The boys were watching baseball on TV; I could hear
that the score was close and that the right team was winning.

Normally, I would have been watching the game
with the boys, but that night I was at the dinner table,

it was late, and I could clearly see the fading pink
on the roof of the neighbor’s house.

She was talking when I got up to take a shower.
She was saying something to me.

I finished my shower when all the hot was gone.
The wrong team had come back to win.

The curtains were drawn over the living room window.
I sat at the dining room table; it was late.

I tried to figure out when it was
that I’d shrugged my shoulders for good.



April 2012 Goodreads Monthly Newsletter Poetry Contest finalist.
Reprinted on The Houseboat (poetry page)

No comments:

Post a Comment