Friday, December 21, 2012

Always I Laughed

Did you feel it, in your heart, how it pertained to everything? - Mary Oliver

The grass was brown, prickly against my bare feet.
I could smell summer ending and things changing inside.
Eight years old and solitude was my favorite thing,
such a quiet sound, but always I laughed, just like my dad.

I could smell summer ending and things changing inside
the tiny house with the big back yard where apricots fell to rot,
such a quiet sound, but always I laughed just like my dad
when they squished between my callused toes.

The tiny house with the big back yard where apricots fell to rot
was a place he never lived with an overgrown field he never knew.
Apricots squished between my callused toes
and the warm morning air filled with the scent of my being alone.

This place he never lived, that overgrown field he never knew,
how the sunshine made me squint before reaching the shade,
the warm morning air filled with the scent of my being alone -
there was a learning, just then, how to watch from a distance.

The sunshine made me squint before reaching the shade.
Eight years old and solitude was my favorite thing;
there was a learning, just then, how to watch from a distance.



Shadow Road Quarterly - Winter 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment