Friday, March 1, 2013

An Open Letter to the Emperor

I get it. You went to college
and I went to work. You understand
the Socratic paradox and I know I don’t.
You are certain that I am making everything hotter
while I cannot remember the real lesson
of Galileo and Copernicus.

I get that your heart is bigger than mine,
which explains why you want to spread
my sweat and my time around to those
with less of the one and more of the other.

I get that civilized discourse
means you can call my friends racist
zealots, greedy Nazis, and stupid cunts
while raising my hand requesting the right
to disagree makes me all of the above.

I get that it is much more enlightened
to believe in E.T. than in angels.

I get that diversity is best honored
through the narrow view
of a used up paper towel roll
so that white folks, rich people,
gun-owners, Bible-thumpers
and men cannot be seen.

Ok. I get it. I really do.
It’s just that I thought
I should tell you it’s cold outside
and you might want to put on some clothes.



The Legendary - Issue 40

No comments:

Post a Comment