Friday, January 16, 2015

Remembering


There are memories that stick
like cigarette smoke
and stain white things yellow.

Like that one time
when, right in front of her,
I cried until my face was slick.

There are other memories, though,
that fill my lungs with light
and make me hold my breath
just so I can keep the pure air there.

Like that one time
it had been steady gray in the valley.
I’d been alone for a long time
and I drove to the top of Mary’s Peak,
half hoping to fall asleep on the way
and drift over the edge
right into a more natural state.

When I got to the top,
I was crushed by a foamy high tide
of the whitest white clouds
that filled the expanse between me
and the Warm Springs pools beckoning.
All I had to do was run and reach
and I could have touched the Cascades.

What a deep breath I took right then.



Poppy Road Review - January 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment