Sunday, May 31, 2015

Good Poems Bleed


So, I might open a bottle of something strong and drink straight from it.
Maybe I will start paying attention to tones of voice and hidden implications.

I might go to church twice on Sunday then watch the evening news.
I could always spend time pawing my way deep inside the blackness

of back in time. I might make myself comfortable staring a little too long
at alternative venues or send a little text, hoping it gets read between the lines.

I could try sulking into a masculine kind of radio silence until my wife
starts to wonder and react and the whole thing comes crashing down around me.

While I'm figuring out a way to let the red run and wash away this dry spell,
I’m going to sing our son to sleep, just like I do every night, and watch his eyes

get heavy after his second request. I’m going to tickle him after I get home
from work and let his smile inspire another sweet nothing that languishes

through one rejection after another until I finally put a stop to its humiliation.
I’m going to cringe when she frames it and hangs it above her nightstand

so she can read it like a prayer before turning off the light and resting her head
on my chest as our bedtime breathing becomes an all night long blood harmony.




The Lake -June 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment